Introduction of MES
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY OF SKILL DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE (SDI) SCHEME BASED ON MODULAR EMPLOYABLE SKILL(MES)
Government of India, Ministry of Labour & Employment launched a Modular Employable Skills (MES) under Skill Development Initiative (SDI) Scheme through Directorate General of Employment & Training in May 2007. MES is ‘Minimum Skill Set’ which is sufficient to get an employment in the world of work. MES allows skills up-gradation/formation, multi entry and exist, vertical and horizontal mobility and lifelong learning opportunities in a flexible manner and allows recognition of prior learning. The skill is to be assessed by the Assessing Body mainly from the Industry organizations. NCVT issues certificate of skills acquired through informal means/competence assessed.
OBJECTIVE OF THE SCHEME ARE :
- To provide vocational training to school leavers, existing workers, ITI graduates, etc. to improve their employability by optimally utilizing the infrastructure available in Government, private institutions and the Industry. Existing skills of the persons can also be tested and certified under this scheme.
- To build capacity in the area of development of competency standards, course curricula, learning material and assessment standards in the country.
- Priority will be given to covering those above the age of 14 years who have been or withdrawn as child labour to enable them to learn employable skills in order to get gainful employment.
KEY FEATURES OF THE SCHEME:
- The Skill Development Initiative Scheme is 100 % centrally sponsored scheme.
- Demand driven Short term training courses based on Modular Employable Skills decided in consultation with Industry.
- Central Government facilitates and promotes training while State Governments, private sector and industry provide training to the persons.
- Optimum utilisation of existing infrastructure available to made training cost effective.
- Courses are available for persons having completed 5th standard and onwards.
- Testing of skills of trainees by independent assessing bodies, including industry organizations such as FICCI, CII, etc. which do not involve in training delivery, to ensure an impartial assessment by the employer itself.
- Flexible delivery mechanism (part time, weekends, full time).
- Different levels of programmes (Foundation level as well as skill up gradation) to meet demands of various target groups
- Training is provided by registered Vocational Training Providers (VTPs) under the Govt., Private Sector and Industrial establishments.
- Testing of skills of an individual acquired informally in competency and issue of certificate on qualifying it successfully.
- The certification by NCVT which is recognised nationally and internationally for gainful employment.
- Existing skills of the persons can also be tested and certified under this scheme.
- Reimbursement of Training Cost @ of Rs. 27.50 per trainee per hour for “Category A” courses and Rs. 22.50 per trainee per hour for “Category B” courses to VTPs and Reimbursement of Assessment Fee @ of Rs. 800 per trainee to Assessing Bodies.
- The on-line implementation of the SDI Scheme through the Web-Portal has been launched since 1st January, 2012